Monday, April 26, 2010

Teaching Life Skills through Basketball



Basketball -- it’s the quintessential sport that fosters teamwork, cooperation, sportsmanship and social skills. And I've been fortunate enough to make this game a part of my experience in South Africa. In addition to my work with Lawyers for Human Rights, I spend two to three days a week working with Peace Players International, an organization that uses basketball as a way to educate youth, develop their self-esteem, and bridge the gap between diverse backgrounds. In the afternoons, I travel with a team of coaches to provinces throughout KwaZulu Natal to teach kids the game of basketball. This sport has been an important part of my life since a young age; it’s where I developed and honed my athletic abilities, played on many successful teams, and met some of my greatest friends. (It’s where I also had my front teeth nearly knocked out during practice in high school, but that also ended up being a positive experience. It really was!) And for many of the South African youth, basketball provides a positive alternative to the crime and drugs prevalent in their communities.

Running drills.

The kids playing a full court game.

It’s cool to see how quickly these kids have developed a passion for the game. (They may not be great at it –- they double dribble and travel every 10 seconds it seems –- but they love it, and they bring a lot of enthusiasm and energy to the game). It’s always fun to see their faces light up each time we arrive at the school. And it’s even funnier to see their reactions when I speak Zulu; they usually look at me as if I’m from another world and then they crack up in amusement. They also get a kick out of it when I dribble the ball between my legs and around the back and try to get them to steal it from me. Actually, I probably enjoy it more than they do.

An ice breaker to see which group can make the longest line.

At a school in Umbumbhulu.

Since Peace Players operates in eight different provinces throughout Durban, I get to experience many parts of the city. One day I’m in town, another day I’m in the rural country, playing basketball amongst the beautiful backdrop of the mountains. Last week, we drove an hour away to a rural town called Umbumbhulu, where there are no taxis and where students walk for miles to and from school. At one location, I observed a ‘life skills session’ where students learned about children’s rights (picture below); at another location just three miles away, I helped run various drills on the court –- teaching players the different ways of attacking the hoop. By the end of practice, we drove all of the kids home and returned to the city by 7pm .. it was pretty late but totally worth the trip. The fact that I'm able to incorporate basketball into my work here in South Africa has been amazing.

On the way to Umbumbhulu .. it's pretty much out in the middle of nowhere.

One of the coaches running a life skills session.

No comments:

Post a Comment